Sunday, January 20, 2013

My Foundation Collection! + Reviews



Soooo I have a TON of foundations. I actually used to have more but they died off over the years lol.
But in all seriousness, I am a foundation junkie. A MAKEUP junkie. I need this stuff in my life or I could possibly go into a coma. lol I'm kidding of course. But I do love the stuff I own especially when they do amazing things. Which is the point of my video/blog post on this.

I have Combination skin and also, I have never ever been broken out by a foundation. It is very rare that a product will cause me to have pimples. The last time something broke me out was a bronzer from Maybelline but even that cleared up once my skin got used to it.



MAC Pro Longwear (NC30)

Price: $30 USD
Color Selection: Broad 
(NW = Neutral Warm, pink undertones. NC = Neutral Pink, yellow undertones)
Coverage: Sheer/Medium
Finish: Natural/Matte
Longevity: Lasts all day, 15 hour wear
Additional Info: Comes with a pump. No SPF. Dries fast. 
Overall Thoughts: It's a great foundation. Good for everyday use, perfect for most skin types.


MAC Studio Fix Fluid (NC30)

Price: $27 USD
Color Selection: Broad (same as Pro Longwear, even more colors available)
Coverage: Medium/Full
Finish: Matte
Longevity: Most of the day
Additional Info: Does not come with a pump. Pump comes separate, $8. SPF 15.
Overall Thoughts: I love this foundation, it gives me the coverage I want and makes my skin look flawless. Not very beginner friendly because of its thick consistency. Not the best at oil control.


Revlon Colorstay (Oily/Combination - Warm Golden)

Price: about $10 USD
Color Selection: Broad
Coverage: Medium/Full
Finish: Natural/Matte
Longevity: All day wear, supposedly 24hrs.
Additional Info: SPF 6. Dries fast. Oil controlling formula. No pump.
Overall Thoughts: Holy grail drugstore foundation! It controls my oil perfectly, longer than any of my foundations. Shade match isn't perfect but I don't.


L'Oreal True Match Lumi (N3)

Price: $11 USD
Color Selection: Decently Broad
Coverage: Light/Medium
Finish: Natural/Dewy (Luminous)
Longevity: Most of the day.
Additional Info: SPF 20. Pump included. Healthy for the skin. Supposed to improve skins texture over time. Very luminous finish.
Overall Thoughts: Although this is not my shade right now, I still very much like this foundation. Perfect for everyday use. Made my skin look very glowy and beautiful. Good for most skin types although I wouldn't recommend it for very oily skin.


Make Up For Ever HD Foundation (#127)

Price: $42 USD
Color Selection: Broad
Coverage: Medium/Full
Finish: Natural/Satin
Longevity: Most of the day
Additional Info: No SPF. Perfect for photos. Very weightless on the skin. Pump included.
Overall Thoughts: I'm pretty much in love with this foundation! Feels like I'm not wearing any makeup but gives me that flawless full coverage look that I want. I definitely think it's worth $42!


Revlon Nearly Naked (Warm Beige)

Price: $10 USD
Color Selection: Broad
Coverage: Light/Medium
Finish: Natural/Dewy
Longevity: Most/All day
Additional Info: SPF 20. No pump. Very lightweight. Blends seamlessly.
Overall Thoughts: I have not used it for very long but so far it is a very good foundation. I would expect no less from my favorite drugstore brand! Dupe for Urban Decay Naked Skin Foundation? Not entirely, but if you're on a budget and want that "naked" look, this is a great alternative.


Urban Decay Naked Skin (4.5)

Price: $38 USD
Color Selection: Broad (Yellow undertones end in .0 and pinky undertones end in .5)
Coverage: Medium/Full
Finish: Natural/Matte
Longevity: All day wear
Additional Info: No SPF. Peptide infused. Light diffusing. Paraben free. Basically, it's great for the skin and looks flawless. Pump included.
Overall Thoughts: Love this foundation! Even though it isn't my exact shade, I could still work with it. It's very flawless and weightless. I love the finish. I love everything about it. Even the packaging is pretty! Definitely worth the price, in my opinion.


L'Oreal True Match (N3)

Price: $8 USD
Color Selection: Broad (W = Warm undertones, N = Neutral undertones, C = Cool/Pink undertones)
Coverage: Light/Medium
Finish: Natural
Longevity: Some/Most of the day
Additional Info: SPF 17. No pump. Super blendable. Color for every skin tone. Very lightweight.
Overall Thoughts: Great everyday foundation! Beginner friendly. Blends seamlessly into the skin. Overall just a good foundation. Not the best, in my opinion, but great for those "I want to do my makeup but I don't" kind of days.


Revlon Colorstay Whipped (Warm Golden)

Price: $12 USD
Color Selection: Limited
Coverage: Medium/Full
Finish: Matte
Longevity: All day wear
Additional Info: No SPF. Jar packaging. Limited colors; most of the shades are on the lighter side and very neutral. Whipped/Thick consistency. 
Overall Thoughts: Very great foundation except the color selection just sucks. This is supposed to be my shade yet it looks very light on me. The next shade up should be a better match but I'm not dying to try it. I use it with my fingers or a flat top brush; looks great either way. 

Make Up For Ever Mat Velvet + (#40)
Price: $38 USD
Color Selection: Decently broad
Coverage: Medium/Full
Finish: Matte
Longevity: All day wear
Additional Info: No SPF. Squeeze tube packaging. Flawless finish. Oil-free. Water resistant.
Overall Thoughts: Love this foundation even though it's a bit light for me. Doesn't keep me matte all day but I don't mind. Beautiful on the skin. Photographs well. Great coverage. Pretty great foundation.


Revlon Photoready (Natural Beige)

Price: $11 USD
Color Selection: Limited
Coverage: Medium/Full
Finish: Natural/Dewy
Longevity: Most of the day
Additional Info: SPF 20. Pump included. Often compared to MUFE HD. Colors tend to run more neutral. Has traces of shimmers in it.
Overall Thoughts: This was my first full coverage foundation. I liked it then but now not so much. The shimmers aren't that noticeable but it could bother some people. Dewier finish than what I prefer. Similar to MUFE HD but I would still chose the HD foundation. Not that great for photos even though it's "photo ready." Overall, an okay foundation to me.


Maybelline Dream Matte Mousse (Creamy Natural)

Price: $8 USD
Color Selection: Decently Broad
Coverage: Light
Finish: Matte
Longevity: Some of the day
Additional Info: No SPF. Jar packaging.
Overall Thoughts: Not really worth the money. Didn't stay matte for long at all. Faded within a few hours. Not the coverage I wanted. Shade was too orange even though it's the same shade I use for any other Maybelline foundation. Felt very weird and almost uncomfortable on the skin. Not the best drugstore foundation. But not the worst, either, I guess.


Dream Liquid Mousse (Creamy Natural)

Price: $8 USD
Color Selection: Decently Broad
Coverage: Medium
Finish: Natural/Satin
Longevity: Most of the day
Additional Info: No SPF. Pump included. Supposed airbrush finish.
Overall Thoughts: It's a decent foundation. I didn't like it at first but as I used it more and more it became quite likeable lol. Thick in consistency but blends smoothly. Decent beginner's foundation. Good for everyday.


Neutrogena Healthy Skin (Nude)

Price: $11 USD
Color Selection: Limited
Coverage: Sheer
Finish: Dewy
Longevity: Most of the day
Additional Info: SPF 20. No pump. Supposed dupe for NARS Sheer Glow. Perfume scent.
Overall Thoughts: I kind of regret getting this foundation because it really does nothing for me. I don't like the finish. I don't like the coverage. Plus it's on the expensive side for a drugstore foundation. The perfume scent might bother some people. Also, I've heard it breaks people out. No breakouts on my part.


Maybelline Super Stay (Natural Beige)

Price: $10 USD
Color Selection: Limited
Coverage: Medium/Full
Finish: Matte
Longevity: All day wear
Additional Info: No SPF. No pump. Micro-Flex Formula. No transfer. 24hr wear.
Overall Thoughts: It's a great foundation. Does everything I want, everything I need. But it's not my shade unfortunately so I would have to go up a shade or two. Stays all day. Doesn't budge. Doesn't smudge.


Neutrogena Shine Control (Nude)

Price: $12 USD
Color Selection: Limited
Coverage: Medium
Finish: Matte
Longevity: Some of the day
Additional Info: SPF 20. No pump. Thick in consistency. Shine control for up to 8hrs. 
Overall Thoughts: Not a very good foundation especially when it doesn't control my oil longer than it should. Not really worth the money. Colorstay is a better alternative. Finish is nice, though. Blends well. Works best with Shine Control Primer & Powder. Also, in my opinion, it's too expensive for a drugstore product especially when you have to buy the primer and powder along with it to make it do what it's supposed to do. 

I threw out two foundations that I also mentioned in the video which were the Maybelline Fit Me Foundation & Revlon Photoready Airbush. One was bad, the other was decent. Wanna guess which one? lol Maybelline Fit Me is beginner friendly, with light coverage and a dewy finish, and also a broad range of colors. The Revlon Photoready Airbrush was limited on colors, had thick sparkles in it, didn't smell nice. Just overall, a bad product.

ALSO, let me quickly go over the primers & brushes I use.


-Smashbox Camera Ready BB Cream, $39
-MUFE HD Primer (Mauve), $34
-Sonia Kashuk Vitamin Serum Primer, $19
-Benefit's Porefessional Primer, $30


-Real Techniques Expert Face Brush, $9
-E.L.F Powder Brush, $3
-Sonia Kashuk Synthetic Buffing Brush, $13
-Sonia Kashuk Synthetic Flat Top, $16
-Sonia Kashuk Large Duo Fibre, $13


Oh, and in case you're wondering, my holy grail foundations (meaning the ones I would without-a-doubt repurchase) are:
-Revlon Colorstay
-MUFE HD 
-MAC Studio Fix Fluid

HAVE A GREAT DAY!! :D

1 comment: